Chiari Online Support Group

Waking with increased tinnitus after a dream

This is a new one for me and I’m wondering if it is all common for Chiari people to have this. I have tinnitus most of the time, not bad though, kind of a mild seashell noise. It’s my “normal.” I woke in the middle of the night last night after having an “intense” dream. I don’t remember what it was about, I just remember thinking it was very intense and involved, bordering on a nightmare. When I woke I also had the worst, loudest tinnitus I have ever had. It felt like my brain was trying to process the nightmare and I could hear my brain working and I could hear what was going on inside there. I got out of bed to open my window and when I did so it decreased some but came back just as loud when I lay down again. Lasted about 15 minutes then it left and I fell back to sleep. This morning I’m back to normal. I don’t know what to make of this. I’ve tired googling and can’t find anything.

That happens often with me. The dream may have raised your blood pressure and that makes the ringing worse. I wish mine was equal on each side. The ringing is just…ugh.

Thank you for your response Caikelly. The tinnitus I had was unlike anything I have ever experienced. It wasn’t just ringing and loud staticy sounds, it was distinct clanging and banging, kind of like an MRI, very loud. Plus there were wooshing sounds, which made me think of the noise blood makes when it surges through the brain. I mentioned it to the nurse practioner and she didn’t seem to think anything of it. But it really has me freaked out.