So sorry about the content of this post op question

I was wondering if anyone post op knew when they were officially cleard to “bear down” while using the restroom??? I’m two weeks post op and more than ready to graduate from waiting on gravity…

Although the toilet has become a great place to do my neck exercises :slight_smile:

Yes. Did the Dr. not prescribe you a stool softener? You can get Miralax over the counter & it makes things a little easier.I was told you need to have a bowl movement every three days & if not to take a medication like Miralax. If you think you may have a blockage from chronic constipation please read the link below and call your Dr. It can be very serious. When you "bear down" do not be surprised if you have a bad headache. I thought I would have another aneurysm my head hurt so badly. Good Luck. I hope you do well. Pain Meds slow our systems down and causes constipation. Drink plenty of fluids and eat as well as possible & walk as much as you can tolerate, but definitely take a stool softener.

http://promedica.org/body.cfm?id=922&action=detail&AEArticleID=000230&AEProductID=Adam2004_117&AEProjectTypeIDURL=APT_1

LoL! I wondered the same thing after my surgery. I just would start to push a little at a time, and if it hurt in any way, I would stop. I think I was about 2 post-op when I was going “normally”. Now, I never took ANY pain meds after my 2nd day post-op, so my bowel movements were back to normal quicker than someone who had to take the meds.
(By the way, I am now 8 weeks post-op.)

*2 weeks post-op when I started going normally.

I will be 4 wks. post-op tomorrow. My NS said wait a full month. I am still going to take Colace or Miralax for a couple more weeks, I don't want to put any undo pressure on the patch.

The last thing the PA said before I left the hospital was do not bear down - you can blow that patch right off your brain!!!

That was enough to scare the crap out of me (no pun intended)!

I have been off pain meds for 4 days and am not constipated but am just spending a lot of time waiting lol. I will try a stool softner…never used one and was afraid it would cause me to go the other way :slight_smile: thanks for all your replies. BigD821 and Texas Mom 1977 how are you doing otherwise?

I am coming along. The first couple of weeks are tough. I couldn't take pain meds (make me sick), so that didn't help. I am finally able to sleep a bit better, but still not in bed. A recliner has been a lifesaver. I am definitely regaining my strength from the actual surgery and doing things around the house. I also get out a walk twice a day, if I am up to it. I am allowed to drive, and have done so, but stay pretty close to home. I still do no feel "clear".

The headaches are much better, but I still have the vestibular symptoms, that I have had for over 13 yrs. (dizziness, vertigo, tinnitus, brain fog, etc.). The Physician's Asst. said it can be a full year before I know how much the surgery has helped. As far as the NS goes, he feels it is a success because the headaches are better and he was able to restore good CSF flow. I am still hopeful and remaining positive about seeing continued improvement.

Bkmm said:

I have been off pain meds for 4 days and am not constipated but am just spending a lot of time waiting lol. I will try a stool softner...never used one and was afraid it would cause me to go the other way :) thanks for all your replies. BigD821 and Texas Mom 1977 how are you doing otherwise?

My NS told me the “witching time” for CFS leaks was between 2 and 3 weeks. Take OTCs and warm prune juice for some help.

Glad to hear at least the pain is gone. Prayers all the other symptoms follow suite. Can't imagine no pain meds!!! I was so fortunate to not have any nausea from them. I am definitely struggling finding a comfortable position to sleep! Looking forward to getting my staples out tomorrow, they itch SO badly.

BigD821 said:

I am coming along. The first couple of weeks are tough. I couldn't take pain meds (make me sick), so that didn't help. I am finally able to sleep a bit better, but still not in bed. A recliner has been a lifesaver. I am definitely regaining my strength from the actual surgery and doing things around the house. I also get out a walk twice a day, if I am up to it. I am allowed to drive, and have done so, but stay pretty close to home. I still do no feel "clear".

The headaches are much better, but I still have the vestibular symptoms, that I have had for over 13 yrs. (dizziness, vertigo, tinnitus, brain fog, etc.). The Physician's Asst. said it can be a full year before I know how much the surgery has helped. As far as the NS goes, he feels it is a success because the headaches are better and he was able to restore good CSF flow. I am still hopeful and remaining positive about seeing continued improvement.

Bkmm said:

I have been off pain meds for 4 days and am not constipated but am just spending a lot of time waiting lol. I will try a stool softner...never used one and was afraid it would cause me to go the other way :) thanks for all your replies. BigD821 and Texas Mom 1977 how are you doing otherwise?

Hello,
Stool softeners really work…nice to have on hand if you take pain meds! I learn that long ago when my son broke his back! So keep that in mind!!
Also good luck on your recovery and be sure to take it easy! My son had his surgery when he was 16! Was doing really good the first couple months, but then got the flu and many of his symptoms…nuasea, diizzyness, and tiredness came back! Almost like his brain makes the symptoms come back with stress and anxiety!!
But he’s much better than he was…which was bed ridden!
He never finished high school and continues to have good and bad days!
Continue having better days too come!
Deanann

This is the first I’ve heard this,my NS didn’t say anything about that.I’m out 1 yr. now,I hope I’ve not caused any damage,he has ask me if I am reg.but not to be carful about movements.