Open o regular closed mri

Just wondering what tor thoughts are…I’m supposed to be going Thursday for a brain mri and cervical mri…I scheduled my appointment and then found out that the imaging center only offers open mri. I have been reading up and read that open mri is not as good as regular. I don’t want something missed. Thinking about calling and rescheduling with a hospital since they have regular mri…I only went with imaging center because it was more inexpensive.

Thanks…They didn’t direct me anywhere so I add just calling around. I am going to call their office tomorrow and move it to another facility or a hospital with a closed high field. As of now they are doing no contrast. I want the best picture to see what’s going on.

Barbara said:

Thanks..They didn't direct me anywhere so I add just calling around. I am going to call their office tomorrow and move it to another facility or a hospital with a closed high field. As of now they are doing no contrast. I want the best picture to see what's going on.
Hi Barbara; I agree with the closed MRI. Several years ago, I had an open MRI for my C Spine and it said only that I had degenerative changes. Well, went to the neurosurgeon and he said we will do PT. I gave it a try and after 2 weeks started getting "electric" shocks up my neck. Went back to him and his facility had an MRI that had an opening. It was a closed High field MRI and it showed that I had several areas were my spinal cord was being compressed. Was fused 1 weeks later from C2-C4. I believe that the open do not take good pictures. I am now fused from C2-C6 and still have same symptoms as I did before and I believe that that "electric shock" actually had something to do with the Chiari Malformation that I am NOW being evaluated for. I would also suggest calling Dr. office back and getting the contrast added. I believe that from past experiences that they will get more info with and with out contrast. I also worked for a neurologist about 10 years ago. I know that with the contrast they will be better able to see where there are blockages in regard to your spinal fluid. The gold standard is really the Cine MRI which shows the movement of the fluid. I am going for my Lumbar Infusion test this week and then probably a CINE MRI after that. Good luck Lily

My new neurosurgeon had me in a 3.0 Tesla Open Bore (it is a shorter "tube") however the images are better on the 3.0 Tesla's. Here's a snippet from a site that I found - hope this helps. This is what they did my Cine MRI and regular MRI's in on May 9th. I'm not small by any means and was very comfortable in this machine.

The 3T has the strongest magnetic field strength used clinically today and gives radiologists access to many applications, including neurology, orthopedic assessment, and vascular imaging. The 3T excels at studying small body parts that need high resolution, such as the Pituitary and Cranial nerves and workups of small abnormalities in the brain. The 3T system offers an advantage in epilepsy studies due to the need for high resolution imaging. The 3T is also advantageous with the musculoskeletal system, particularly small joints such as wrists and ankles.

I called this morning and switched locations to where they had a closed 1.5 tesla… I’m happy with my choice…the open mri was only .3 magnet strength. And it’s the same out of pocket cost.
To get a closed 3.0 tesla I’d have to go to the hospital and my out off pocket cost is almost triple. Thanks for info.