I’ll be getting decompression surgery. My neurosurgeon wants to start by removing part of the skull and removing the “roof” of two vertebrae but he won’t be expanding the dura. I’m not so worried about the surgery itself but I am nervous about the amount of pain I’ll be in. If anyone could give me any advice on that, I would thoroughly appreciate it. Thanks!!!
Edit: my friends are trying to talk me out of it. They haven’t said it but they’re acting like this is life or death. I’m having symptoms such as numbness in my face and limbs, I’m experiencing dizziness/lightheadedness (presyncooe), I haven’t slept right lately (keep waking up and feeling too uncomfortable to get or stay asleep), I’ve developed asthmatic symptoms. I’ve had so many unexplained symptoms but they think that isn’t cause enough to go through with it. If that isn’t cause enough then I don’t know what is. Maybe I shouldn’t be talking to them about it.
Edit 2: I’m losing my insurance at the end of the year since I’m 26 and will not be covered by my mom’s insurance past that point. If I don’t get the surgery before then it could be years before I have the chance to do anything. Since I’ve had a sudden onset of new and bizarre symptoms since February that have only progressed, I feel I don’t have the option to wait longer. What if, during the years I’m not covered and can’t afford surgery, the symptoms become absolutely unbearable? I feel like waiting would be too much of a risk. When I first saw a neurosurgeon, I was 15 and he said I may need surgery but I was nearly asymptomatic at the time and still growing. Now that I’m an adult the new neurosurgeon I’m seeing believes that because I’m having these symptoms and because my herniation is so large, surgery would be a good option for me. To clarify, this doctor is some one who doesn’t recommend this surgery unless he sees no other option and he believes it could perhaps really help. He’s had years of experience treating chiari patients and he’s never made any mistakes.