Front Office Incompetence

I wonder if doctors knew how much their front office staff makes or breaks the relationship between the patient and the doctor.

I had been having terrible pain and tingling for sometime and needed an MRI. The doctor told the front office staff where to send me for the MRI and they were supposed to set it up. The next day, I received a call from the lady in the front office asking me where I was going for the MRI because she didn't write down the doctor's instructions. What?! So then, she did not get information to my insurance company in a timely manner (to schedule the MRI); a process that should have been 48 hours was a week long. After I had the MRI, I needed to know my results so that I would know what to do next. I called the doctor's office and they told me that they had not received the results. I called the place where I had the MRI, and was told that they had faxed the report 1 hour after the testing. I asked them to re-fax and then called my doctor's office. My doctor's office still claimed not to have the results, and then asked me if the MRI place had the correct fax number. How in the world would I know that? They set up the MRI....that is their job...to make sure numbers are correct. Fast forward...I drove 45 minutes back to the MRI testing spot and picked up my report and disc. I then called the doctor's office asking if they had the results and the answer was no. Now, how is it that I was able to get the results on my own, and they still had not received the fax?

What happened to customer service? What should have happened when I called about the results and she didn't have them...she should have called the place where they MRI was performed and asked for my results. At that time, she would have determined if there was a mistake within the contact information or if something was wrong with the fax machine....etc.

I showed up to my doctor's office with the report. Interestingly enough, when I showed up they tell me that they had the MRI report. My question to them was: And the reason why no one has called me with my results!??!? I really like my doctor....but that front office is a MESS!

It is frustrating when you are the one that is not feeling well, and you have to call and run around to make sure that you are receiving the care that you require. Why am I doing someone else's job? Oh, but they sure know how to process my $15 copay payment...no problem with that!

I am not even going to get into the NL office that was told to make an appointment with a NS and they made an appointment with another NL.....

HI MMPEANUT:

WELCOME....

Oh, yeah...that is the worst ..when the office staff drops the ball..happened to me a lot before ..mainly with a different issue..non Chiari related..

I am so grateful for the docs I have now and their office staff...Funny you should bring this topic up b/c I started a discussion not long ago about becoming friendly with the front office...I have lucked out here..Where I used to live I had some similar experiences as you...

Hows your w/e going????

Blessings,

Lori

Thanks for the welcome, Lori. My weekend is going...just a little tired. I have been trying to get some rest. How is your weekend?

Not all front office people are bad, but there are some I tend to wonder about. I am glad that I have the strength and the know-how to advocate for myself. I would have been mighty upset to have shown up to an appointment, expecting to see a neuro-surgeon, just to see another neurologist...especially when the referral said for me to go to a neuro-surgeon. No one is perfect...I just think they need to pay closer attention to detail.

My appointment with the NS is this Thursday morning. Hopefully he will have some answers and a course of action. I am meeting with the Chair of the Neuro-Surgery Department at the hospital. Chiari is one of his specialties...so that makes me feel better.

-M

lori said:

HI MMPEANUT:

WELCOME....

Oh, yeah...that is the worst ..when the office staff drops the ball..happened to me a lot before ..mainly with a different issue..non Chiari related..

I am so grateful for the docs I have now and their office staff...Funny you should bring this topic up b/c I started a discussion not long ago about becoming friendly with the front office...I have lucked out here..Where I used to live I had some similar experiences as you...

Hows your w/e going????

Blessings,

Lori

Hi...Keep us posted on your appt. Thursday..good luck!!

Yes, I agree...thank God you can advocate for yourself..

Blessings,

Lori

Of Course I had them make a copy! I wasn't crazy enough to fork it over....given the fact that I drove so far to get it...lol. I will let you know how Thursday goes; I am sure everything will work out just fine. I hope you are having a great weekend, Abby.

-M

Abby said:

Mary Martha,

You can take them a copy of your report, but a copy. Do not give them the original. I have never heard of such. I would be mad too, but that happens in the frustration of having Chiari and getting reports back and forth. Getting your copies of everything is a good idea. You need to hang on to them, and do not give them out. Only to the ones you trust to get them back.

Please keep us posted on your doctors appointment,

We are so happy your here with us. Hang in there, we all can relate to the mix ups, and just laugh, cause, that is just part of the Chiari craziness. You did the right thing in getting your records your self. Good for you.

Love, hugs, & prayers,

Abby