Chiari Online Support Group

Chiari 2, just had a stroke

Hello everyone. I’m Mark, Chiari 2 here. I’ve been ready for surgery for some time now and was approved for decompression toward the end of 2018. I’ve not trusted the neurosurgeon I met, so I’m on the hunt for another. Sadly, I had a brain TIA, which is like a mini stroke or the stroke before a full blown stroke, last Wednesday March 27th. I have an appointment with my neurologist tomorrow but I’ll admit…I’m scared. I’m 29 years old and have been work as a professional sign language interpreter for 11 years. These past several years my health has gotten worse so I’ve cut back on my interpreting work. I’m scared because the TIA left me feeling not the same. My head is different now. I don’t know how to explain it, which sucks even more. I guess I’m just venting to my fellow Chiarians. Stay strong guys!

Hi Mark, sorry to hear about the TIA. Sucks!
I know what you mean about neurosurgeons. I went to bunch of them for second and third opinion prior to my decommpression. I chose dr. Bolognese and I couldn’t been happier. I want to say that I got my life back. Of course, I still have issues because I waited too long with the surgery but I wouldn’t choose anyone else. My daughter had it too but she hadn’t gotten decompressed. We are watching her.
I know it’s scary. I had my surgery at 37 and I thought my life was over. I couldn’t be a mother nor a wife. I was forced to retire from my city job. 3 years later I can say that my life it’s good. There is a light at the end of the tunnel

i’m sorry that you had a stroke as that is difficult since it does change things for you. Hopefully, the stoke did not effect a lot of things for you and maybe you can work through some of the problems with a person that knows how to help you with those problems. Seek out any and all help you can get. I wish you luck and hope that things go better for you soon.

Mark, I’m so sorry to hear about your health struggles, and your TIA. I am an Occupational Therapist, with a Chiari Type II, and have a lot of experience working as a Neuro-rehabilitation therapist. Stroke patients were my specialty before moving to pediatrics.

It’s not uncommon for a person to feel emotionally or mentally strange after a TIA. Be sure to connect with an appropriate medical professional to monitor for possible future TIA’s or stroke. Feel free to reach out anytime with questions! :slight_smile:

p.s I’m 34 and struggle terribly with my symptoms and health. I have had such a dramatic decline over the last 2 years. This support group is a great place to not feel so alone.