Being a mommy with chiari

Does anyone else feel they cant be the mommy they want to be?

My daughter is 13 months and always on the go. I have trouble keeping up with her. My family helps alot but by the end of the day I feel like I cant function. Sometimes I have seizure like attacks where my face gets tight and i cant control my eyes, I get really fatigued like I am going to faint. Other times i cant carry her because my left arm has lost so much strength. My daughter is a sturdy 25 pounds =] I am so proud of how shes doing but its hard to play with her. This makes me so sad.

I have not had any treatment either. I am so scared to get surgery and not be able to care for her.

We are living parallel lives! My 2 year old daughter is my world and we are super close. I’m so hands on with her but it’s getting harder to do all I want to do with her and it breaks my heart. I have so much guilt and some days I feel like she deserves so much more than I can give right now. The thought of leaving her to have surgery is almost unbearable. I’ve only been away from her on a few overnights when she’s stayed with my parents. On a side note. I thought my symptoms were just mommy fatigue from busy days and sleepless nights…until they became more intense and I had an mri. Please keep in touch. Maybe we can exchange tips for keeping our energy and spirits up to mother our daughters.

that would be great. Its nice to know someone who is going through the same thing. I also feel guilty for not being able to give her what i think she deserves, surgery is very necessary but like you said ive only been away from her for 3 days bc my symptoms landed me in the er. I usually try to nap when she does but sometimes she naps once, and i have bad insomnia so its hard to sleep regardless. At first i thought my symptoms were fatigue from my pregnancy... wich was horrible i might add.... I think the chiari made it worse almost unbearable. I did not know i had chiari until a couple months ago. If i had known I would have waited to recuperate my health before having children so i could be a better mom.
Nikki said:

We are living parallel lives! My 2 year old daughter is my world and we are super close. I'm so hands on with her but it's getting harder to do all I want to do with her and it breaks my heart. I have so much guilt and some days I feel like she deserves so much more than I can give right now. The thought of leaving her to have surgery is almost unbearable. I've only been away from her on a few overnights when she's stayed with my parents. On a side note. I thought my symptoms were just mommy fatigue from busy days and sleepless nights...until they became more intense and I had an mri. Please keep in touch. Maybe we can exchange tips for keeping our energy and spirits up to mother our daughters.

Nykki and Rebecca thanks for sharing your experiences! It’s nice to hear from other moms how they are balancing motherhood and health challenges. The first thing I did when I realized my symptoms were chiari (about a month ago) was search for a sick mothers support group in my area. I couldn’t find one! I’m still shocked there isn’t much on support/resources for mothers with health challenges. So, it is incredibly supportive to communicate with you all on this site.

I forgot to add that srod you are the second mom with chiari I’ve talked to that had a horrible pregnancy…I did too!! The first two months were lying in bed, vomiting several times a day, with dizziness and weakness so bad I stayed in the same place in bed all day…my husband would come how from work and ask if I moved at all. I now look back and it seems like those were very similar to chiari symptoms.

Hi thanks for all the support guys. Yea it was definitely the chiari my pregnancy I had vertigo so bad I couldn’t watch tv
I was so sick I lost 40 lbs in 4 months. It was horrible I was so cranky and depressed I felt like I was wasting away.