Advice on how to tell your kids

Does anyone have any advice on how to tell your small children that your have surgery and more than that that you can't pick them up for 4 weeks?

I have a four year and a two 1/2 year old both boys. I also have twin 17 1/2 year old daughters so if you have any advice on how to make sure I can reassure them that everything will be ok I'll take that too.

Thank you!

My surgery will most likely be at the end of December after Christmas.

Carrie :)

hi carrie,

agree with abby...your older teens will 'get it'..even have them go ,like abby suggested to the resource section...my favorite is www.conquerchiari.org

the younger kids is a tough call..you want to keep it simple..in my opinion, anyway....maybe something like.."Hey kids, I have some great news..ya know how mommy hasn't been feeling good??? Well, guess what??? The doctors have a way of making me feel better. I will have to be in the hospital for a little bit..and when i get home i will need you kids to help me out , ok..but then I will feel much better once I heal up. Isn't that great....moms gonna feel better after this is done!!"

That is pretty much how i would have told my own little ones..mine were..8 and 11 when i had my surgery...so they pretty much understood..plus..it helped that back then the radiologist gave me film..not a CD...and the NS actually drew a line on the film showing where the tonsils were....when i showed this to the girls they we funny..they 'got it' and said something like..'wow..thats cool, can i take it to school and show everybody?"

I found out thru my journey that kids are so resilient....plus pretty self centered when they are young....so don't worry about them....they will be fine.

sorry this was so long.

peace,

lori

i actually had my children involved in the whole process..what i mean is obviously they seen i wasnt doing so well at home but when i would go to the doctors and things i would talk about what was said to my husband (when he wouldnt go with) i wouldnt hush up when the kids were around. i wanted them to know what was being said and what was going on. and being i went out of state for surgery i actually had him along with me i wanted him to see the hospital,meet the doctor and have any of his questions answered. I always hated it when i was a kid that ppl would hush up when kids came in the room, and as an adult realizing how little i know about my parents and grand parents medical health is because they were tight lip. and that it is something i did not want to happen with my children.( I have 4 sons youngest is the only one living @ home anymore he is now 11)

but your youngins are a bit too young and i agree with Lori on how to talk to them about it, the older ones would be easy and i hope they will be of great help to you during this time with the younger children.

Telling my kids wasn't hard because I had been so sick all year. Seeing me with all the bad symptoms was way worse than telling them about surgery. I live in Tx and had my surgury with Dr Oro in CO so they were nervous because we were so far away. I ordered my 3 older daughters these necklaces and had them delivered on the day of surgery.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Silver-Mothers-Daughters-Pendant/dp/B004QM9BO4/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1321382891&sr=8-15

Good Luck! BTW, I fell great and am very happy I decided to have surgery.

Thank you everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it! I think I'm just being a worried mom. You know. My oldest son definitely knows there are days I dont' feel well b/c he asks. So of course I'm hopeful that the surgery will minimize my symptoms. :)

Thanks again!! :)

Diana- that is so sweet! love the necklace-do they still wear them? lol

Diana Smirl said:

Telling my kids wasn't hard because I had been so sick all year. Seeing me with all the bad symptoms was way worse than telling them about surgery. I live in Tx and had my surgury with Dr Oro in CO so they were nervous because we were so far away. I ordered my 3 older daughters these necklaces and had them delivered on the day of surgery.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Silver-Mothers-Daughters-Pendant/dp/...

Good Luck! BTW, I fell great and am very happy I decided to have surgery.

Lisa, Two of them wear them everyday. The third only every so often.

Diana

I have four boys, two exactly the same age as you two; the 4 year old will understand some, however what I had to do with my two year old, is when he put his hands up to be held (he was a hip baby!) I would grab his hand and walk to the living room where I could sit on the floor with him in my lap. He was ok with that most of the time, and dad would get him if it was a problem, another piece of advice... my son was a moma's boy... and when I came home (after 12 days) he wanted nothing to do with me.. for a couple of days, and even after he went to dad for what was nonrmally me, so be expecting soemthing like that, we are good now...but it hurt my feelings! wishing you the best, and be blessed you have the older daughters I am sure they will be a blessing!

Jennifer