A little differant: where were you on 911- please share with us!

I figured since I have been so focused on me, and my upcoming surgery, I would attempt to focus on something else.

My first daughter was born at 7:54 AM...less than an hour before the first plane hit the tower. It was a tuff day, here I was so happy and expecting to be the center of attention for a little while, and yet the world turned upside down on us all. I felt guilty feeling happy, I was angry no one was around ( all of our friend are police, fire, EMT's and search and rescue workers), they were all heading to NY before night fall. I felt guilty for being angry and disappointed. We had a hard time celebrating the first few years, how could I be so thrilled that my beautiful, smart, incredible daughter was here yet another year with us, and so many people were again facing the reality that another year had passed without their loved ones. It has been a thought provoking, faith building time for us.

Glad you had an aha moment! Those are rare!!! :)

It's definitely a hard situation. I can't believe your daughter was born on 9/11 WOW! That would be mixed feelings. I mean THE 9/11...how amazing of your friends and family to go help though. And I can still see how you felt too. So many people had so many precious moments stolen from them because of that day.

I lived in upstate NY at the time and was at work during the attacks. We didn't know what was going on. I left work early and got my kids. I was so scared. At the time it felt like the end of the world.

I pray your surgery is a huge success and you have many many pain-free days ahead of you!

Thanks!

I was taking my kids to the dentist when the first plane hit. We had made it to the Dr appt. Watching the news coverage on it and as we watched the second plane hit. I was in shock as I watched as. The building blew up and the building tumbled down. Still very vivid in my memory now.

I was at work at the Pentagon on September 11. It actually started out as a good day. My daughter, whose husband had been deployed, had started working at the Pentagon too on September l0. Because the first day was orientation at a different location, she didn't start working in the building until September 11. I walked her to her office that morning and then went to mine. I worked in Government contracting and our first indication that something was wrong was when parents started calling our administrator in charge of the day care center asking if they should come get their children. We had just turned on the radio to get the news and heard about the planes hitting the towers when we heard what I call the "big bang". At first we all panicked and then everyone started leaving the building. Everyone except me that is because my first thought was of my daughter. Her office was located in the center of the Pentagon and I knew she didn't know her way out.....and so many corridors were closed for renovations. When I couldn't get her on the phone, I just kept trying until I was forced to leave the building. Since I was given a parking space when I went to work there, I went and stood in the smoke and debris by my car and cried and prayed that she would make it out. It was a long 30 minutes or so until I saw her face coming through the massive crowds of people leaving the building. It was a moment I will never forget; it was like she was reborn. I was particularly struck how calm and quiet everyone was as they exited the building. It was like everyone was in shock. I was only kept calm by my male secretary; he helped me a lot. I could see that the smoke and fire was coming from the part of the building where my daughter worked. It turned out my suite of offices in the C ring was in the area where the plane crashed at the third corridor going through the building from the E ring to the C ring. Thankfully, the people in my office had been relocated while they renovated the office space. That undoubtedly saved our life. My daughter's office was in direct line with the plane, but it stopped at the C ring of the building and she was in the A ring. A delayed trip to that part of the building to visit the bathroom and instead to wait for a computer technician to come give her a password saved her life. Her office was destroyed by fire and water, although they were a few weeks later allowed to wear little white suits and try to salvage some of their personal items. I know I'm incredibly lucky; so each September 11 as I'm glued to the television watching and remembering, I always say a prayer for the victims, I get emotional and cry, and I say a prayer of thankfulness that God had other plans for me and my daughter.

The Pentagon is so big that some people on the opposite side of the building never heard a thing. My office was just around the corner on the south side. I flinch and jump at loud noises to this day!!

Hugs and Blessings

Shirley

I hope your surgery goes great and it IS the start of your new life. I too count my blessings. I try and keep the attitude that it is what it is and it’s good to keep a positive atttitude. It is o.k. to count your blessings and not concentrate on the negatives in our lives. We do what we can to fix the negatives and that’s all that we can do.That goes a long way. It’s so much better to concentrate on what’s good in our lives. When I made the decision to have my chairi/basilar invagination/cervical fusion surgery, it made me feel good that I was doing what I could to hopefully make my life and my family’s life better. When I woke up from my surgery, for the first time in a long time, nothing hurt and that WAS a wonderful feeling. I hope it’s that way for you too. You and your family are in my prayers.

Shirley,

Such a touching story and a testament to the wonderful things God does for us.

Thank you for the well wishes. Although I am still frightened, I know that I will be fine

It is normal to be frightened; after all we got that human thing going on. I can tell you though that nothing is ever as bad as I can imagine it to be. I think I was more afraid of the aneursym surgeries because the aneurysm was located on the carotid artery. But I admit when they told me they were going to take my bones apart in my cervical spine and lift my head higher, I was like "yikes". I thought that was a heck of a way to get a longer neck.I've spent most of my life without a diagnosis and it's heartening that so many younger folks are being diagnosed and not having to go through life without any help. I believe everything happens for a reason though and and things turn out the way they are supposed to; it just wasn't supposed to happen when I was younger and I certainly wouldn't have known about the wonderful surgeon that I ended up with. When I look at all the positives that have come out of my surgeries, I feel blessed. I never expected to be perfect afterwards and I'm not. But I am so much better; my first measure of success for the surgery was that I woke up still mobile ; everything after that (no dizzy anymore in particular) has been an added blessing. In addition to the physical improvements, I have met so many wonderful people through the aneurysm and chiari support groups. When I first started going on line, it scared the......out of me; I read so many negative things. I had to tell myself many times to "put on my big girl pants" LOL! I finally came to realize that most people who stay on support groups are the ones who haven't had a positive result and I had to keep that in perspective. Most people who have a good result most likely go on with their life; life is busy and they may not take the time to offer support for others. It wasn't until much later that I found this site where there are so many wonderful people who take a positive approach and take the time to offer support and convey their success stories to others. I think that being positive and believing that things will be positive works so much better. Being negative and allowing ourselves to become depressed is such a slippery slope. It's easy to do and I do think it's o.k. sometimes to have a pity party (just a tiny little one). After all, having Chiari and the problems it brings with it is not easy.....some of this stuff is hard....so I work on it. If I feel myself getting a little down, I take a deep breath and say to myself "don't go there". Believe it or not it does get easier when you realize you can't necessarily do it by yourself. Supportive people are so important in the process. That's why I love the fact that my Chiari friend Lisa, who I met on another Chiar support group site told me about this group. After reading so much negative stuff, I found that the people on this site do offer hope that things can and do get better. Making the decisions and going through the processes like the surgeries is not always easy. While they are very personal decisions which we must make by ourselves, it is wonderful to read stories about how peoples lives have been changed. Like you, I have family and I want to enjoy time with them. That sometimes is hard with Chiari and the problems it can cause. Since we don't necessarily look sick, it's sometimes hard for family to understand. My husband has gotten so much more understanding since he has become educated about Chiari. I feel blessed with my life the way it is. I hope you too will keep in that frame of mind while working to do whatever you can to make things better. We can't know what the future holds; so that's really all we can do. Never feel guilty about being happy; children are truly one of God's greatest gifts and I'm sure that God wants wants us to be happy and blessed; I'll keep you in my prayers as you countdown to surgery day. I know from experience that it seems like a long time; but now it's hard to believe that it's been over a year since my surgery......this time next year you will be one year past and reassuring someone else.....hang on to that thought.....won't that be wonderful!!!!

O.k. that was kind of long and rambling on, I guess. There must be so many words inside me just wanting to get out LOL!!

Hugs

Shirley

Thank you so much… I also am thankful to have found this site. It has been awesome!