4 month post op

Hello group,

The healing was going well until I couldn’t sit upright for more than 15-20 min before this horrible pain in my chest and left arm. Strange tingling in my arms and fingers. My NS did another MRI and showed a syrinx from C2-T8 and a mild CSF leak from the surgery. I’m on bed rest and a new med Lyrica to see if it will go down on its own to avoid another surgery. However, if it doesn’t get any better I’m not opposed to surgery for relief. Since the surgery my headaches have improved greatly. The MRI also showed that my brain is not longer pressing on the front of my head. I’m happy about that.

I’m keeping my spirits up and reminding myself this was a MAJOR surgery and it going to take up to a year for recovery. Peace and blessing to all.

Hey Jay,
“The healing was going well until I couldn’t sit upright…” I’ve required a few neurosurgeries and with each I’ve had what I call ‘a honeymoon period’ where initially things seem to be travelling OK (Maybe it was the drugs), not great, but OK and then BOOM and I’m having MASSIVE headaches. To be honest, I didn’t think pain like that existed, just unbelievable. I was tempted to rip my eyeballs from my skull, the pressure behind my eyes was off the scale.

One of my surgeries was a craniotomy and the day after surgery I had a friend turn up to visit. She’s a real comedian, joking and making a general fool of everything. I cracked up laughing and I heard this noise, like drinking milk through a straw “What on earth was that?” (Well, it was a bit more colourful language than that :astonished:, but you get the idea :grin:) The nurse told me to rest and speak to the surgeon, which I did. He explained that to do the surgery the ‘seal’ which holds all of the fluid in had been broken, but that over time it would seal up on it’s own. What was needed was rest, rest and more rest and sure enough, eventually it did seal up without further surgical intervention.

If your symptoms are minimal AND manageable, see how things go. I STRONGLY agree, this is MAJOR surgery and it can take quite some time to fully recover. Some things may comeback better, some symptoms may linger and it really can be a case of weighing up the pro’s and con’s for further surgery. Now is a time to be patient with self. Slowly, slowly is best in recovery. I say this because I didn’t do the slowly, slowly, doing myself more harm the good.

Merl from the Modsupport Team