Chiari Online Support Group

3rd surgery

Its been awhile since ive posted my recovery. My symptoms and diagnosis started 10 years ago. My symptoms were somewhat bizarre since it started with a gag from brushing my teeth and tongue. The pain was so severe i felt i blew out my right temple. The headache felt like no other headache i ever had. I was told from a mri there was a possibility i had chiari (7mm). No doctor ever confirmed my condition. It took 4 more years and many doctors later that my condition was addressed. I had another condition which i had surgery in 2011 to fuse 3 of my disks in my neck. 2 years later i had the decompression. I maybe had 30 days of some relief. The pain came back gradually then so severe that now im recovering from a full anterior and posterior cervical fusion from c3 to c7. 3 mos post op. No narcotics, physical therapy 2 times a week but the pain can be so severe and constant. Its not just the pain but its my memory. Very weak speech and problems with sorting out my thoughts. I dont know if its the recent surgery, pain, or part of having the chari.just wanting to come on just to maybe get some feedback. Its difficult not feeling like myself. I hope you all are finding some relief from pain and support

Hi,
Sheesh sounds like you have been through the wars.
Of its of any help or insight…
I had weak speech when I had a crisis before my decompression surgery.
My voice changed and I sounded like a frail old lady.
I didn’t realise was a symptom as I was in so much pain at the time so we didn’t pay it much attention.
Post op it was a different story …
I had weak speech because raising my voice put pressure on my head and made it feel so sore.
I like to sing and im only just starting to be able to do that now softly at 4 months post op.
Hang in there
Best wishes

Oh haha just replied and it said 1 year later!!
Must get used to this site
Hope ubare doing well now :slight_smile: